Inspiration: Weekly round up

I've decided to make a regular posting of inspiration I find around on the internet most of these are notes on the process of artists and to put them here for the benefit of myself and perhaps someone else who will also be interested in this and take something from it.

Film Analysis 
Rob Ager is the main  inspiration behind this blog, I came across his work a few years ago when I saw his analysis of The Shining on his YouTube page and I've been a fan ever since. Below is an analysis of Silence of the Lambs

Silence of the Lambs analysis

The Shining Analysis

You can find more of his analysis work at http://www.collativelearning.com/.
---------------------------------------------------

Andrei Tarkovsky is another inspiration to me and recently Muddy Colors posted a blog article quoting from his book "Sculpting in Time". I did a little bit more digging around and found that his writings are art and the meaning behind art really resonate with me.

“Modern mass culture, aimed at the 'consumer', the civilisation of prosthetics, is crippling people's souls, setting up barriers between man and the crucial questions of his existence, his consciousness of himself as a spiritual being.”


“Never try to convey your idea to the audience - it is a thankless and senseless task. Show them life, and they’ll find within themselves the means to assess and appreciate it.”

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2016/12/regeneration_13.html
---------------------------------------------------

Notes from Guillermo Del Toro interview on his writing process:


"I have a mansion that has 9 or 10 libraries organized by me some are visual reference, historical reference, religion, and occult.,, I think that surrounding yourself with the things you love is inspiration. So before I start writing a screenplay I take library carts and go through the libraries and say "oh I want this one" or "maybe this one"...I browse through the artists and writers and I try not to reference things that are a proposal things. I try not to research dry I just try to get inspired by great painters and great writers for a few days or a few weeks if I can afford it and reading, reading and browsing and making notes then I go into serious research.  For example when we were writing the  Strain book I researched how the sewer system in new york is laid out, abandoned subway station ...in the 3rd book I needed to know how empirical Rome was laid out when Caligula was king and at the end of that mental trip you start writing.. I keep notebooks that I have been keeping up since 1990 and I browse these notebooks where I've written down things that I read that was something interesting and reread what I wrote one I was 21 or 23...its a dialogue with myself."

-----------------------------------------
Finally here is a couple of trailers to documentaries I've been checking out and would recommend as inspiration.
Tickled


The Imposter

The Sunshine Makers


Comments

Popular Posts