Jim Shepard Interview


Hi jim! First off thanks for taking the time to do this interview, can you give us a brief introduction to yourself and your background as an artist? Can you also give us a brief rundown of your current project? 


Hey Wesley! Thank you for thinking of me for your interview as well! So yeah, I've been creating art for over 20 years now. I've shown artworks in gallery spaces, retails spaces, bars, had my work hanging in salons, put together my own art shows as well as serves as artistic director to other art related events. I got my BA in Studio Art from Sacramento, CA back in 2011 and I'm currently residing here in Dallas where I create art, taught drawing to children part time and raise my 4 month old son.

My current project was sparked due to the Corona Virus. With everyone having to social distance and all art shows having been canceled, it has been very difficult to find the inspiration to create art. So to push myself, I reached out through social media for images of friends social distancing themselves for me to draw. I decided to make a little zine from those drawings as well as images I'd created based on multiple pieces mashed up together serving a more philosophical ideal.


What kind of themes do you typically like to explore in your art and how is your zine project  different? What kind of books, movies, music inspires you?

I am trying to create more art in regards to what really sparks joy in me. I like to follow the every day lives and moments, people and places that hold impact to us and also try to emphasize that there is significance in each moment and in each of us. I've been here at this idea in the past, but back then I think I was more interested in finding importance due to a feeling of insignificance based on my angst towards religion then. Now, it is more importance based on class, I think. My inspiration comes from Studs Terkel and Rineke Dijkstra for this project. Terkel was a journalist who would basically interview individuals based on the theme of his book. He would go to all kinds of folks too, not just the rich and famous. Dijkstra is a photographer who had a piece I'd seen sometime back where people were dancing by themselves with no audio. You ever walk by a club or bar and can't hear the music but see inside that people are dancing? I always thought people dancing looks awkward when there was no music but the people dancing are probably having a great time. So who the fuck really cares what I'm thinking? I should be having a good time too.



Congrats on your  kickstarter already hitting your goal by the way! This being your first project on kickstarter were you at all hesitant  about doing a kickstarter? Did you walk into this with any kind of particular strategy in mind on how you were going to promote this project and complete it?
Thanks man! Yeah, I was pretty hesitant but when I get an idea many times I talk myself out of it after overthinking it all to hell. So I've been trying to just act on impulses more. Do more and think less. That stuff got me into trouble in the past, but I'm getting better at doing it for more positive ideas only. I didn't have any real strategy since it was impulsive. After deciding on Kickstarter over Indiegogo, I quickly drafted up the campaign and published it all in the same day. I was stoked I didn't need to make a little video since I feel I'm corny and I don't have any video editing software. But once it was live, I just shared the shit out of it on my social media, hoping people could help out a little bit.


Did the support come as a surprise to you? How would you say your experience with the support for the zine compare to doing art shows? I imagine it must be exciting to find another source of income for your art.

Yes and no. The campaign received a $1.00 pledge to begin and I thought it would stay there the whole time. But I have a very supportive group of friends and family. If they actually like my art is another question altogether. I hope they do. With art shows, you can get a lot of strangers talking to you about your work which is awesome. I like meeting new folks and getting new insights. I feel it's more personal too since sometimes I think since when it's someone I already know, they may just be supportive and not fully invested in the art itself. And yeah, getting this project funded is awesome. Nothing is technically going into my pocket but I will be able to create this thing without money coming out which is huge since my teaching job got cut once the shelter in place order started.


Do you have any tips for people wanting to do their own kickstarter? 

Share it with everyone you know. I feel the people you know are huge supports to help with the funding. Also, if you have the means, try to get the link up in places where there is an abundance of strangers who may be interested in what it is you're going to be putting out and make it as easy as possible for them to pledge. Make different levels of pledge amounts. Different folks may want different things. Many people pledged more than I anticipated which is rad so don't be afraid to offer fun and different things. There should be a level of exclusivity with the rewards since people are helping before the product is even real.

For you now that the project is funded what is the next step? Have you thought about turning this into a regular project with a patreon subscription connected or do you prefer kickstarter?

I have considered the patreon route as well. I have an account but I've gotten hung up on the details of how it works I think so it's been collecting dust. I saw how a couple artists run their own and like the idea of just asking folks for $1.00 a month to start and maybe eventually adding higher tiers and rewards. 

Where can people follow you to keep up with your work online? I know we are just coming out of a lockdown but are there any art shows that you’re interested in participating in later this year?
I post most my art work on instagram under the handle @_john_leopoldo_ and I have a website that's been collecting dust. I get lazy about my internet dealings man. I had a few shows lined up that were canceled due to Corona so I'm hoping they start up again this year. One was CLTR Fest which was in Arlington, Another was the Power of Peace also in Arlington as well and Pancakes and Booze out in Houston.

Thanks Jim!

Comments

Popular Posts