H311.exe interview




1) Can you give us a brief introduction into who you are and what you do? What kind of projects do you work on?

My name is Quentin Hell, I go by H311.exe on the internet cause I kinda like the silly idea that we're all AI, I'm a french freelance illustrator and comics creator. I work on illustrations for a variety of purposes (board games, private comissions) and on comics.



2) From the quality of your work I imagine you work fulltime is this correct? If so can you tell me is being a working artist what you thought it was going to be before you started?

Yes I have worked full-time in illustrations and comics since the beginning of 2019. The job is pretty much what I expected, but I learn everyday, I didn't quite anticipate the big role of social media presence and the need to sell yourself and your artwork this much, I had this crazy idea that work would come to me flying through my window. I also discovered the process of working on bigger projects, where there is a lot of back and forth between the artist and the clients.




3) Your work is so stylized was it difficult getting your foot in the door for getting work or have you found that to be your advantage?

Kinda both? It's a bit hard to get your foot in the door, I didn't go to art school, so I didn't especially make connections with other professionals, which can sometimes get you work more easily. But I try to develop my own unique style, distance myself from my influences, and when your art is personal and unique, people are gonna be drawn to that and want to hire you and your vision.



4) I love the Shape design in your work, especially the sailor moon post. Who are the artists that inspired your way of working and do you study a lot of other artists? 

My influences are pretty usual in the field, Mike Mignola was when it all started for me, he made me want to be a professional artist, at the same time I discovered the work of Eric Powell in The Goon, since then the influences just add up, James Haren, Becky Cloonan, Tayio Matsumoto, Eichiro Oda, Jamie Hewlett's old stuff, Josan Gonzalez for the main ones but I keep discovering artists that I love and that inspire my work. But I try not to study other artists per se, I love their work immensely and it has obviously influenced mine but I try to distance myself from them to find my own voice, my own style.




5) what do you think makes someone an exceptional artist? Is there any particular exercise or practice that works for you?

 I would say that sincerity makes someone a great artist, what do you want your art to say, to communicate, how does it relate to you as a person? In my opinion, the technical aspect of drawing is just a way to make your images more complex, more understandable to your audience, to communicate your ideas and feelings more efficiently, but the starting point, the gold nugget of great art is in his personality. But to enhance these feelings I would advise to study books on anatomy, perspective, design, and to draw from real life, again and again, the basics are always important whatever your level because it's the foundation of your art.



6) What kind of business advice do you think artists should know when trying to become a working artist? Was there anything in particular that you wish you had known before?

My main advice would be that it's gonna be hard, Don't do it for money, it's not a way to be rich and famous. You have to love the craft and the process in themselves because there are gonna be a lot of dry spells, it needs patience and dedication. But for something more business specific, I would say, Don't sell yourself short, even if you're a beginner your work has value. It's fine to not get paid sometimes for a project you truly want to do, that inspires you, but never work on unpaid commissions or abusive contracts. Maybe if all the artists start refusing abusive contracts, clients won't have a choice but to treat artists fairly.


7) You say you  didnt expect social media to play such a role in your career, so I assume you were pretty good before 2019 but you couldnt find the work correct? So what was the thing you changed about your approach to social media that helped your career out, did you just decide well I'm gonna have to post weekly regardless if I have NDA work I cant show?

 Oh no I wasn't that good prior to 2019 and honestly I think I have a lot to work on to progress, there's always room for improvement. I started to post more frequently in 2019, learned to use the platforms and hashtags to try to get my work out a bit more. It's always a struggle for me to post consistently, it doesn't come to me naturally and I don't really want to post stuff I'm not happy with. But I know that social media play a very important role nowadays, I got jobs like that.


8) What social media platforms are you on, where can people follow you? Also is there any specific tactic or thoughts on how social media can benefit artists that you havent seen people talk about?

People can follow me on instagram primarily (www.instagram.com/h311.exe ), I'm also on twitter but I don't only post art there (https://twitter.com/h311exe), I also have an artstation gallery but I need to work on it, it's really not up to date (https://www.artstation.com/h311). You can also watch me draw or color stuff live on my twitch channel! (https://www.twitch.tv/h311exe)
On social media I don't really hace something new to add. I would say that it can be a great tool to make fellow creator friends, share your work and have feedback, but it can feel like a real Burden, I would say to not worry to much about likes, don't comment on stuff you don't really like to attract people to your page, it shows, sometimes you're gonna gain a lot of followers because someone shared your work but this is not the rule, it's more like a slow build.




9) Have you ever thought about kickstarting your own comic or doing your own projects or do your prefer freelance?

 I have some personal ideas in the works, an adventure sci-fi comic that I would like to do on a webcomic with a patreon, I'm working on it on and off when I don't have freelance work, I hope that one day I'll be able to be satisfied with it and get it out. But I also enjoy some freelance work when I'm happy with the project and that I feel I have something to add to it.



10) Any final thoughts or shoutouts? What can people expect from you next?
 My final thoughts for other fellow artists would be to enjoy yourself, art doesn't have to be created through pain and suffering, be proud of what you do, work consistently but try to make it fun for yourself. Don't chase the likes by doing something just because it's popular, try to express what you feel throught your art, being yourself is better than being popular at all costs.

I'm currently working on projects that will come out in France. Right now I work on a sci-fi playing card game and after that there's possibility for a comic book project but it's a bit soon to talk about that.

Interview by Wesley Edwards

Comments

Popular Posts