Jeff Stahl art analysis







As I continue working my way through Marco Bucci's online class I'm continuing my studies by taking caricatures of actosrs and breaking down both their regular faces and their caricatures to get an idea of why the artist made the certain creative decisions that they choose to. 

The first thing I did was really sit and look at the drawing from Jeff Stahl and make some notes about what it is that he chose to exaggerate. Much like in the previous caricature study I did this has widely exaggerated features but at the same time the key structures of the face such as the eyes nose and lips are all positioned well against one another. In blue below I was able to line up the inside of the eye which feels  right about where the iris sits as lining up with the outer part of the lips. 

We also see a nice triangular shape that is formed between the mouth, and the eyes.. In blue I also marked roughly where the key features lay horizontally and we can clearly see that the biggest portion goes to the brow to hairline space. This along with the mountain and rocky shape of the head gives him a very grisled masculine feel to the head. The middle space between the eyes and nose is the second largest with the third largest being his mouth to chin shape 

The left and right sides of the head are contrasting against one another in terms of shape. Notice the left side feels like it goes at a strong downward push from the top of the head to the jawline. Here he exaggerates a strong turn in, then out and in again for the chin and this is reflected on the opposite side of the face. The eye socket, upper brow, and cheekbones all have a very boxy feel to them. 

When we look at the regular face of Jean Reno and break down the individual planes of the head we can notice quite a few things about it. For one its easy to see why the creative decision was made
to extend the forehead because it does seem to be the largest area on his head anyway. The flesh of his face made it difficult to find all of the plane changes but I did the best I could with what I had. Its interesting to note that we can find the slight break in the jawline where the jawline turns slighting and goes to the chin right where it lines up with the corner of the eye. Below I drew a line over the asaro head to show exactly what I'm talking about.

Comments

Popular Posts