Peter Chung analysis part 2

 




Converging lines in composition
Today I wanted to continue the previous analysis in a new way by instead looking at a few scenes and how converging lines used in the composition of the different shots from Aeon Flux lead our eye around and also provide an update on the head studies Ive been doing.


Above I've gone over the major forms and used the lines of objects in the environment on on the characters to find converging lines and what I noticed was that the composition is doing a few things: We are framed in the image with big objects in the form of the faces, which then subdivide to medium shapes in the folds of the clothing and facial features. In the backdrop we get a mass of smaller shapes that balance out the big objects in the foreground

 We also get an interesting addition to the composition in the form of the pillar that is coming out of Aeons head, intersecting with the bridge and this intersects and points us back to Trevors face. Below we can see some examples of typical compositions and in my opinion this composition. would fall into a sideways cross composition type.



Continuing from my last post Ive been breaking down the individual characters and how the converging lines are used to help with the designs of the characters and I've decided to track my progress over 2 days and post the results here. By doing the same study over 2 days I noticed how much I missed on the first day and I plan on going back and redoing the previous studies in the next post.



Here we can see from left to right my first couple of attempts on day 1 followed up by my next attempts on day 2. Already I can see a marked improvement as I make notes about what I miss on each individual part of the face. What I noticed is that I have a tendency to use very messy indecisive lines and usually do not get the triangle proportions of the face the same every time. I usually can get close but I have to go back in and try again during the correction phase to fix it. This is a great exercise for training the eye.


Comments

Popular Posts