Stanley Lau analysis


Today I'm continuing my process of studying character design by breaking down the form underneath the drawing and copying the structure of what I see and going back over it to see what kind of errors I tend to make while making notes here. 

When I look at the original piece here I see the forms as being very strongly rendered. We see the lighting is clearly coming from the top and is hitting the upper part of each muscle which by its nature also delegates where the shadows of each individual form will fall. We can see the creases in the shirt seem to radiate out from the underarm and sides of the shirt and then also fan out from the groin area and from behind to knee. the forms are so complicated that I find it hard to imagine that he wasnt using reference for this or at the very least has a strong understanding of how fabric folds and acts under different lighting.

Throughout the piece we see a constant back and forth between curves and straights thanks to the nature of the fabric. To try to call this from memory would be quite the challenge but here I've done my best to do 5 passes of the structure underneath the drawing and I feel like the 4th pass was probably the closest and the most natural feeling to the drawing. The rest I had tons of revisions to make and I've noticed I have a tendency in this piece to lean everything to the right more and to make things wider towards the right than necessary. Below you can see my attempts. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts